TripleClicks

Thursday, March 12, 2009

But by the grace of God...

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them- though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." I Corinthians 15:10



This verse actually says a lot to me. First of all, I see the point that we are what we are because of God's grace. I, like others, have days when I'm unsure of myself. Maybe I dont really like myself very much, or maybe I just hate being overweight, etc. Well, that's when I first need to remind myself that it's not so much about what I look like on the outside, but the condition of my heart and then I need to remind myself that I am what I am because of God's grace. Just what is grace? Let's look it up in the dictionary. Here are some of the meanings for Grace:




  1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.

  2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.

  3. favor or goodwill

  4. a manifestation of favor

  5. moral strength

  6. the excercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege conferred.

  7. The divine favor toward man; the mercy of God, as distinguished from justice; also, any benefits His mercy imparts; divine love or pardon


We could go on and on, but this is enough. So let's replace 'grace' with some of the other words used in it's definition.

But by the 'favor' of God I am what I am.

But by the 'love' of God I am what I am.

But by the 'mercy' of God I am what I am.

But by the 'pardon' of God I am what I am.

Now we know that to be merciful is to hold back what is rightfully deserved in judgment. To favor one is also to be merciful and to pardon someone is to show undeserved mercy. So could we say that we are what we are because God loves us and wants to keep us from judgment? I think we could.

Let's look at the next part of the first sentence: 'and His grace toward me has not been in vain.'.

and His love, favor, mercy and pardon towards me has not been in vain.

To be in vain means : 'without affect or avail; to no purpose ; in an improper or irreverant manner."

I think we could safely say that God's mercy then has a purpose and does affect our lives! But do we allow His purpose for us come to fruit? God wants to use us. He has a purpose for each and everyone of us and that is to do His will and promote the Kingdom of God. Now, we know that we have His grace which allows us to do this, but do we do it?

The next section speaks of working harder than others, BUT we must also remember that no matter how hard we work for something, it's God's grace that brings us through it and to the purpose.

Now God's overall purpose of the advancement of His Kingdom translates differently for each person because we are each made in different ways with different skills and gifts. And these skills and gifts are bestowed upon us with God's grace, mercy, love, kindness, favor and pardon. Some may have a real gift for children - teaching, loving, playing and just overall a good report with children. Now to use that for God could be to volunteer in the church nursery or children's church. To teach children of God's love.

For another perhaps thier gift is being able to cook. One could use that gift by helping in a soup kitchen that delivers the word of God, or maybe by taking food to the needy themselves along with a prayer. Or maybe God would have them in a resturaunt in the community where they can pray over the food as they fix it and therefore pray over the one about to consume it. There are many ways in which God could use this person. My point here is that whatever your gift or your hope for your future, it can be used for the glory of God.

So remember, God loves YOU so much that much like an earthly parent, He only wants the best for us. He demonstrates His love through his grace, mercy, kindness and favor. Instead of condeming you to the life that sinners deserve, He gives us a way out - His Son, Jesus. When we accept Jesus and become co-heirs to the Kingdom of God, then we also become heirs of his grace. He pardons us from eternity of fire and pain, replacing it with everlasting joy, happiness and peace unspeakable. And the next time to want to put yourself down for some little flaw, remember you could have many many more flaws if it werent for God, and then ask Him to help you in your troubled area. He will.


No comments: